Delete Browser Historyby elise on May 7, 2007
Q: In Internet Explorer how can I change or remove the way the web addresses show up in the drop-down list or the drop down list in google?
A: In Internet Explorer 7, the URLs you have typed into the address bar are automatically stored in the browser’s history. When you click on the drop-down arrow to the right of the address bar, you will see a list of the addresses you have typed manually into the address bar, and those you have pasted into the address bar and loaded for viewing. There is no way to control how they are displayed, because they are simply a history of pages you have loaded, however you can control how long Internet Explorer keeps a history of these addresses.
To change how long Internet Explorer keeps your browsing history:
- Click on “Tools” > “Internet Options”
- Click on the “General” tab
- Click on the “Settings“ button in the “Browser History“ section of the window
- At the bottom of the window you can specify how many “Days to keep pages in history“
- Click “OK“ to save the changes once you’ve made any changes.
To delete your current browser history:
- While on the “General“ tab of “Internet Options“, click on the “Delete“ button in the “Browser History“ section of the window
- When the “Delete Browser History“ window loads, click the “Delete history“ button in the “History“ section of the window to immediately delete your browser history.
- If you would like more control over how much of your browser’s history is deleted click the “About deleting browsing history“ link at the bottom of the window and a Microsoft Help document will provide you additional assistance.
Internet Explorer also keeps a history of data you have entered into forms, like the list of items that may appear in a drop-down list under the Google search box. If you would like to remove the entire history of data that has been entered into all form items (not just the Google search box) do the following:
- Click on “Tools“ > “Internet Options“
- Click on the “General“ tab
- When the “Delete Browser History“ window loads, click the “Delete forms“ button in the “Form data“ section of the window to immediately delete any saved form data.
Alternatively you can delete any historical form data by hitting the Delete key while that item is highlighted in the drop-down list that appears when you access the form field.