Is there such a thing as a firewire to USB converter?

by on October 17, 2009

Q: I recently received a new (well, technically used, but new to me) camera to shoot content with for my website, but it only transfers video files to PC through firewire. My problem is, my PC only has USB inputs and no firewire. Is there any sort of converter that will allow me to plug the firewire cable from my camera to my PC’s USB? If so, where can I find one?

2 Responses to “Is there such a thing as a firewire to USB converter?”
    Picked as best answer

    The problem is FireWire is considerably faster than USB because of how it works. This means that most video cameras, esp older ones, only transfer video via FireWire but most have USB but the USB connection is just for transferring pictures not video.


    You’ll have to install a Firewire card in your computer, here is one that is only $8.